Thursday, August 20, 2009

Today is the Day!

Today is Carter's surgery day. We can't believe it is already here! We arrived on Tuesday and spent Wednesday at the hospital doing pre-op stuff. We were at the hospital for nine hours- Dr. Paley is very popular. We met families from several states and even a few other countries. We are so excited to be here! Of course we are experiencing an mix of excitement and nervousness. Yesterday Carter was feeling quite scared. Last night he wrote me a note that said, "How long are we going to be here? I am scared. Aah!Aah!Aah!" I told him that I was scared too and he said, "Why? You aren't having surgery!" I didn't know how to explain to him how I was feeling. Until you become a parent you just don't understand. I'm still not sure how to put into words how I am feeling. It is one of those times when the emotional pain you are feeling is worse than any physical pain you can imagine.


For some reason I started thinking back to one time when I was a little girl and the other neighborhood girls wouldn't let me play with them. I can't remember why they wouldn't let me play, but it must have had something to do with having the right attire for the activity. The reason I know this is because when I told my mom they wouldn't let me play she sat down and quickly sewed me a skirt with little pom-pom trim all around the bottom. I remember that I went back outside with a new skirt and renewed confidence. The girls still wouldn't let me play and I turned back toward my house with the tears starting to flow. I looked at the window and my mom was looking outside and she was crying, too. Now that I am a mom I know that she was hurting more than I was. I think all parents have felt this way before. Anyway, that's what I was thinking about today. So, on to the updates of the day:




We arrived at the hospital at 9:30 this morning. We did all of that pre-surgery stuff, which includes a lot of waiting. Carter stayed busy taking pictures of himself with the camera- they are pretty funny! He was taken back to the operating room around noon. It is now four in the afternoon and I haven't heard anything. I am hoping to hear from the Doctor in the next hour or so. The time hasn't been dragging on as much as I thought it would. That is because my cousin, Jennifer, drove four hours to sit with me today! She left her home in Bradenton in the early morning hours and was able to pick us up at our hotel in time to get us to the hospital for our check in time. Not only is she hanging out with me today, but she has gotten a place to stay for the night and she will check on us tomorrow morning before she heads back. I am so grateful that I am not alone! We have been busy catching up and talking about our families- we are sharing all kinds of family gossip!



Jennifer forbade me to use a picture with more of her in it- she was dedicated to the cause of getting us to the hospital on time and had to sacrifice putting on her makeup. Now, for your viewing enjoyment- more pictures of Carter playing with the camera! He is a crack up!







Once again I am feeling grateful for the many people who are helping us out right now. My sister, Jessica, is helping Jason at home and they are keeping everything running smoothly. Caitlin started first grade (that is hard to write) and when I talked to her she said, "First grade is awesome, you get four recesses!!!" Colby started his school program and he seems happy and content that his schedule hasn't changed too much. Our great neighbors, The Marshalls, have been so good to Caitlin and their home is like a second home to Caitlin. Jason and Colby will be able to attend a scout camp this weekend because my other sister, Jenny, is keeping Caitlin. I am especially grateful to my Aunt Cindy's family for taking Carter and me under their wing and making sure we are not alone.

3 comments:

Kassie Jane said...

Love you and I'm thinking about you.
talk to you soon

Cristina said...

Love the pictures Carter! Austin is right, you are a funny man. We wish you the best and hope the surgery went well.

Amy said...

ok, I enjoyed reading about the surgery, but the mean girls part made me so mad! do you remember who they are?? i say we take a little trip to find them and beat the snot out of them!! yeah!!